Help Capture Missouri’s Beautiful Landscape
As you explore the Show-Me State this spring and summer take your camera! Missouri 2021 is looking for photos of the state’s tremendous geographic and cultural diversity for the My Missouri 2021 Photograph Project. Missouri is a state of tremendous geographic and cultural diversity. The Missouri Bicentennial provides an occasion for reflecting upon and increasing understanding of various aspects of the State’s cultural and geographic landscape.
Professional and amateur photographers are invited to capture and share the unique and meaningful aspects of place in Missouri. From these submissions, two hundred photographs will be selected to be part of a traveling exhibition in 2021 and a digital showcase on this website. The images will also be added to the permanent Missouri Bicentennial collection at the State Historical Society of Missouri.
Together these pictures will create a snapshot of the state’s physical and cultural landscape during its bicentennial that will be available to researchers, teachers and students, and the public for generations to come.
To be considered for the permanent collection, the entries must meet the following guidelines.
1. Submit a title, photographer name, date, county location, and description, including as much location specific information as possible (i.e. address, intersection, GPS coordinates, etc.).
2. Photographs should focus on place and/or elements of place in the current geographic boundaries of Missouri. While people may be included in the photograph, they should not be recognizable or the focus of the photograph.
3. Photographs should be taken in 2018 or 2019.
4. Photographs may be in color or black and white. They should not be digitally altered beyond standard optimization (i.e. removal of dust, cropping, and reasonable adjustments to exposure, color, and contrast.) Photographs should also be free of watermarks.
5. The digital photograph must be a minimum of 8 megapixels, 300 dpi, and submitted as either a jpeg, jpeg2000, or tiff file.
6. Submit the photograph with a Creative Commons license (i.e. CC BY-NC-SA 4.0, which allows the Society and patrons to use the images with attribution and create derivatives.)
7. Each photographer may submit up to five photographs for the contest.
8. Your photographs must be received by November 1, 2019, for evaluation.
A committee of State Historical Society of Missouri staff and guest curators from each region throughout the state will make the final selections. Notification of selection will be made by January 31, 2020.
The final two hundred photographs will be featured in a digital exhibition on the Missouri 2021 website and physically exhibited at the Center for Missouri Studies and other locations throughout the state in 2021.
Learn more about these bicentennial projects and other commemorations at missouri2021.org
Please support the Ralls County Herald-Enterprise by subscribing today!